Easily the quickest of quick breads, moist and tender …. this is absolutely delicious and one you must try. Just another fantastic use for your cast iron skillet. Serve this alongside some hearty chili or stew and you’ll have such a comforting meal.
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 and place a 12 inch cast iron skillet in to heat up while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk up the buttermilk, eggs, and 7 tbsp of the melted butter.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 and remove the skillet. CAREFULLY … remember it is hot.
- Coat the skillet with the remaining tbsp of melted butter. Pour the batter in the skillet and place it in the oven. Amazing to watch …. it right away starts to puff up around the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm, and a tester comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Have you checked out http://www.jocooks.com ?? I got this recipe from her blog and it is most assuredly the best cornbread I’ve tried. In fact, I think every recipe I try of hers I love!