- 5 medium yams, peeled and cubed
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp chipotle pepper, finely minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (from the chipotle peppers)
- 1/2 – 1 lime, juice and zest of
- salt and pepper to taste
- GARNISH – crispy bacon bits and thinly sliced green onion
Put yams and enough stock to cover in saucepan. Boil until yams are soft, about 1/2 an hour.
Heat oil in sauce pan, saute onion, garlic, chipotle and red pepper until tender – set aside.
Remove 1 cup of chopped yams and set aside.
Puree the rest of the yams and stock together until smooth – either with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender – (remembering to leave the lid ajar to let steam escape!).
Return to saucepan, add onion/red pepper mixture, the corn and the cubed yams.
Add juice and zest of lime – start with 1/2 the juice, and season with salt and pepper.
If it is too thick, add a bit more stock.