Everybody needs a great Caesar dressing in their kitchen, try this one and adjust to your families taste. My grandkids don’t love garlic, so when they are over I usually go light on the garlic cloves but that’s totally up to you!
- 1 egg (or 1/4 cup mayonnaise)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 2 anchovy fillets (packed in oil)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup oil (I like to use a combo of vegetable oil and really good extra virgin olive oil)
- dash hot sauce (totally optional)
Combine all ingredients except oil in jar or blender. Shake/blend really well until smooth, and slowly add oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper, adding more if necessary.
- Wash your lettuce leaves and spin dry (you can do this ahead of time, wrap in clean kitchen towel and keep in fridge until ready to use, it really crisps up the lettuce)
- Cook bacon until crisp and crumble.
- Toss stale bread chunks in olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper and toast until dry and crunchy. (This is also a great place to use dried herbs, and some garlic powder)
- Grate Parmesan cheese
Toss lettuce pieces in very large bowl with the bacon, croutons and parmesan cheese. Just before serving toss with dressing just until everything has a delicious coating. Taste and squeeze a bit of lemon over if you like.
This easily goes from a side dish to a whole meal if you serve Caesar salad with grilled chicken or shrimp, and a side of garlic toast.