Cold dreary days lead to healing soups! Even the start of this, with the miso coated vegetables roasting in the oven promises great flavour. I promise you will feel like brighter days are coming by the time you finish this bowl of deliciousness. (Is that a word?)
- 4 tbsp white miso paste
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sheet of dried seaweed (optional but recommended)
- 1 large yellow onion, skin on, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed clean and thinly sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 heads of garlic, cut in half, skins on
- 4 inch knob of ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 5 sprigs parsley (or any other herb you have around!)
To finish: juice of one lemon, salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 and cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl combine miso, oil and water, whisk to combine.
Place piece of seaweed and all prepared veg on the parchment and toss well with the miso mixture.
Roast for at least an hour, until veg are lightly browned.
Turn into a large stock pot, and cover with 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1-2 hours.
Strain the stock off, discard the vegetables (you’ve cooked all the goodness out of them!) and add in the juice of 1 lemon, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
This is delicious!!! I got it from the kitchen of Jillian Harris, she calls it Gut Healing Veggie Broth, and it is a sure fired winner.