- 1 jar (300 mL) roasted red peppers , including juices
- 1/4 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons almond butter or 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Romesco Sauce: In blender, purée together red peppers including juices, tomato sauce, almond butter, vinegar, paprika and cayenne pepper until smooth. Season to taste with salt, if needed. Transfer to small saucepan, and set aside.
- 1 head cauliflower , cut in large florets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 450 g unpeeled jumbo shrimp (21 to 25 count)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions
Shrimp and Vegetables: Plunge cauliflower pieces into boiling salted water for just about 2-3 minutes, and then immediately drop into ice water bath.
This can easily be turned into a vegetarian dish by omitting the shrimp, just use an assortment of vegetables.
In bowl, toss together shrimp, oil and remaining salt.
Thread shrimp onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place shrimp and cauliflower on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until shrimp are pink and cauliflower is charred, about 8 minutes. Add green onions during last 3 minutes of grilling.
Heat Romesco Sauce, stirring frequently until warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve cauliflower, shrimp and green onions on large platter with sauce on the side for dipping. Add some crusty fresh French bread and you’ve got a great appetizer!