This is one of the easiest, quickest curries I make. Amazingly, it is also one of the tastiest! We make it with halibut, but you could just as easily make it a vegetarian dinner or cook any protein you like to make the complete meal.
- 6 four ounce halibut pieces
- peanut oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sliced shallot
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp (heaped) curry paste
- 1 tbsp roasted red chili sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 2 tbsp (dry) white wine
- salt & pepper to taste
Season halibut with salt and pepper. Fry in hot oil on each side for 2 minutes each … then set aside.
In the same pan, saute shallot, garlic, ginger, curry paste and chili paste. Cook for one minute just to allow the flavours to wake up. Add one can coconut milk, brown sugar, lime juice, and simmer until it has reduced by half. Depending on how fresh your curry paste is, you may need more paste. I also find that curry paste varies a lot by brand so please make sure you taste it to be sure you have enough curry flavour.
Taste …. does it need salt and pepper? If so, add to taste.
Now is time to add the vegetables if you are going to make this a one dish meal:
I’ve made this in so many ways:
- on a sheet pan, roast cauliflower, patty pan squash & chicken thigh pieces
- on a saute pan, cook shrimp just until pink and cooked through
- saute bits of pork tenderloin with snap peas and peppers
- saute tofu and mushrooms in garlic butter
Or simply add any vegetable you like:
- bok choy
- red pepper
- snap peas
No matter how you do it, this curry sauce enhances anything you come up with! Serve with jasmine rice, your protein of choice and this amazingly delicious curry poured over top.
Garnish with slivered green onions and toasted sesame seeds.