- 14 ounces Swiss chard, kale, mustard, turnip or radish greens, etc, stems removed
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- 1½ teaspoons grated nutmeg (I didn’t measure; just grated a lot directly into the processor)
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil or grapeseed oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Aioli, for serving (again, optional)
- Steam greens, or briefly drop in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove from pot and drain well, patting leaves dry with a paper or kitchen towel.
- Place chard in food processor with herbs, nutmeg, sugar, salt, pepper, flour, garlic and eggs. Pulse until well blended. Fold in feta by hand.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, spoon in 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture for each fritter (you should be able to fit three fritters per batch). Stick to cooking three or four at a time. I find these fritters a little tricky to flip, and the key is to make sure that you have space to flip but also to make sure the fritters are golden and crisp before flipping. Press down gently on fritter to flatten. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Add another tablespoon oil to pan and repeat. Serve warm, with lemon wedges (optional). Another serving idea is to prepare a creamy aioli and serve with that alongside …. you won’t be sorry!
Lucky me ….. I had a bunch of beet greens to use up and found this recipe on alexandracooks.com