As the snow drifts by the window I’m dreaming of making these again ….. smoky from the grill and cedar plank, and bursting with creamy cheesy goodness.
- 25 to 30 small cremini mushrooms (about 650 g), stemmed
- 2 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup water-packed artichoke hearts (about 2), drained, finely chopped and patted dry
- 1/4 cup cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green olives
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
To take these over the top, sprinkle with toasted and chopped hazelnuts, they add such a delightful crunch …. as you can see in this photo I didn’t have any handy this time!
Soak one 12- x 7-inch untreated cedar plank in water for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Meanwhile, using tip of spoon, gently scrape out mushroom gills to widen cavities.
In bowl, stir together Asiago, artichokes, cream cheese, olives, egg, garlic and pepper. Spoon 1 tbsp filling into each mushroom cap, pressing to flatten slightly.
Arrange on cedar plank, filling side up. Top with hazelnuts, if using, or you can always substitute toasted Panko crumbs. Place plank on grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill until mushrooms are tender and filling is bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley. Serve on plank on heat-resistant surface or transfer to platter.
If barbecuing isn’t an option for you this can also be done in the oven …. 425 for 20 minutes.